CongaDr+ Tony's Conga Adventures: Wood debated - what is this, mr know it all...

Friday, March 7, 2008

Pin It

CongaDr

Wood debated - what is this, mr know it all...

ok,

I was talking to Matt Smith about this quinto Brian Matza, a big collector in SF, sent him to study the shape.

its a funky quinto and i absolutely love the sound of this material..

So, i picked up these incredible tubs made by a Cuban cat in Miami named "el chino" or Luis Martinez.

He made some really nice drums... some of the nicest sounding ive every played, sos, matt smith, junior included. i was so lucky to score on these drums, they are my favorite instruments.

so, it got me thinking... what is this mistery material....

lots of pics to come.

Tony





2 comments:

  1. I've never heard of a Luis Martinez making drums out of Miami? Does he currently make congas? Or was this an old set? What's the deal Tony...how are his prices?


    Ralph

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear Luis 'el Chino' Martinez is living in FL and is in his 80's. As far as i know, this is the only set on the west coast.

    Id love to see any pics of any others.

    I did see one 'el chino' quinto for sale on ebay a few years back.

    Tony

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for checking in, please feel free to contribute.

Feel free to contact me directly at congadr@gmail.com

Tony